‘Tis the season for holiday travel. But, in many cases, before you get home (or perhaps someplace that’s warm and tropical) for the holidays, you have to fight the Airport Wars.
Everyone who has flown during the holidays knows what this means: long lines to get through security, frantic searches for places to charge your cellphones, dodging other stressed-out travelers dashing to make their flights, maybe missing your own connections, and more — just the sorts of headaches that crush the holiday spirit before you even hit the eggnog.
You may even be at the airport right now as you read this (and, I hope, have your phone or laptop charged enough to do so).
If you’re en route, still packing, or just thinking about an upcoming trip now or any time of year, check out an app called flightSpeak, which covers more than 300 airports around the globe, with more being added all the time. (Check to see if your airport is included by searching HERE. You can also request to have your favorite airport added by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Here’s what you’ll find:
- Real-time TSA Wait Times: flightSpeak’s newest feature, CheckPoint, provides travelers with up-to-date wait time information provided by passengers and a machine-learning algorithm that’s no doubt a trade secret
- Family-Friendly Resources: Keep your family (and pets) happy with current airport play areas, family-friendly restaurants, pet resources, and nursing and changing rooms
- Wi-fi codes and electronic charging stations: Get online faster and know where to plug in at some 100 different airports– after all, you may have to call your airline or your travel agent, or even read clarknorton.com
- Retail Recommendations: Easily access customized stores (and maps) for last-minute gift or other shopping; more than 50,000 airport stores are included
- Social Media Aggregators: Connect with friends and family through photos and travel stories – right from flightSpeak. You can post these to Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. They’ve also placed the Twitter feeds from over 150 airports in an easy-to-use format, giving you the most up-to-date information directly from the airports
- Ground Transportation: Find customized ride-sharing and transportation information while still in the air
And, in keeping with the holiday spirit, flightSpeak is free. You can download it here:
Meanwhile, wherever you may be headed — or simply staying home — I wish you a wonderful holiday season, with perfect connections both en route and with your family and friends.